Monday 14 October 2013

From Old Curtain Remnants to Cool Skirt

“Is that my old curtains?” my Mum chimed in, when she saw me in this new skirt. She’d worked out that the fabric was the same as curtains from her house in the early Seventies.



The curtains themselves were long gone, but I found some scraps of the fabric in my Grandmother’s stash, and here we are.  I went for a simple A-line skirt and added two pockets for extra character.


The Pattern is from “Sew U” by Wendy Mullin, a fab book for the beginner.  Starts with advice, hints and tips, then has three great patterns to follow, starting with the easiest (A-line skirt) and progressing through to low-rise trousers for the advanced stitcher.  Trousers will be a few years off for me, I think.  But I definitely felt ready to attempt the skirt.


It has a cute shape and a funky print - perfect to wear with tights and boots on these cold autumn days.  And the pockets are….COOL!




I used an elasticated waist as the thought of a zip was still just too scary.  Think I’m going to have to get some lessons if I’m going to take the next step in this dressmaking lark.  But overall I’m super pleased with my little brown skirt.

2 comments:

  1. Cute skirt! Love the fabric and your pockets are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the pockets are definitely my favourite bit.

    ReplyDelete