Wednesday 23 April 2014

Second Time Lucky

It's Simplicity 5776 again. After my wearable muslin I knew the fit was right, and having made it before it was easy to whip up.


The fabric is a light wool tartan.  It's great quality, but there was only a little of it; so, I shortened the length to 17 inches and could just about fit the pattern pieces on. The fabric was from my Nan's stash and I think (I hope, anyway) that there is more of it up in the loft where I squirrelled away most of the precious stuff.  Storage is a bit of an issue here at SeamsOdd Towers so I try not to have too much fabric out and about, otherwise it encroaches on our life, and the kids use it for all kinds of dubious practices!


I much prefer the skirt extra short anyway as it feels so much more me.


I really love this skirt and I feel good in it.  It's a great fit and the wool feels soft.  I did worry that I'd need to line it for fear of "clinging", but it's been great.  It has held its a-line shape well too.


The pattern matching is not great, but to make up for it, this is the neatest zip I've ever put in.  I'm rather proud of myself.


Due to the limited amount of fabric, I couldn't afford to lose any of it to a hem, so I've used bias binding like a facing and it's a rather smart effect.


Having said it wasn't well pattern-matched - take a look at the match of the centre front of the waistband.  Wahoo!!

I'm hoping to make at least one more of this pattern as it is so comfortable.  Maybe I'll be even quicker on the next one.  But first I'll do something different I feel, or I might get bored. 

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous skirt, the bias binding trim looks good. And must say, your hair looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. And this length looks really good on you. And no one will notice the lack of pattern matching if you don't point it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I think I will go for this length more often. It feels "right".

      Delete
  3. Another good skirt! I like the bias binding on the hem - it works well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an easy way to hem, looks nice and neat too.

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! The fabric really suits the pattern and the length looks perfect on you. Nice tip about the hem too, thanks! :) (not sure if my name is coming up but this is Sue from Lady Stitcher)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I agree its a good match of pattern to fabric.

      Delete
  5. Wow I am loving that tartan, well done on the zip too! and the tights are such a good colour may i ask where from?
    bestest Daisy j xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. I'm getting better at things like zips but it's not something that comes easily. The tights are from Next.

      Delete