Sunday, 27 September 2015

Scrap busting with simplicity 1412

Hi there sewing friends. I hope you're all well, and sewing up a storm! I didn't get my birthday dress finished in time. Boo! But it's almost done, just the hem to go now. Despite this, I had a lovely day. I was brought breakfast in bed by my eldest, and given lots of lovely prezzies. Nearly all of them were sewing related - how fabulous!!!

In the meantime, I still have something to share with you all and this is from the "its so easy" range at Simplicity. I made it before here. And the darling daughter loves a good pretty dress; who doesn't?

The dress uses up the smallest scraps from this top;bearing in mind I only bought a metre of it in the first place, I would say the fabric has done me very well indeed.

The rest of the dress is a pillowcase cut up and refashioned. It is lovely fabric, and only got consigned to the cut-up pile as it had a small stain that just would not wash out. 

I love the ric-rac embellishment, I think it really makes it special. I hand-sewed it on at my first visit to the monthly Brighton Sewing Bee. It was so exciting getting to meet so many other people, all crazy for sewing and nice cake.

Do you go to any sewing groups or craft clubs? I feel really pleased to have found the Brighton Sewing Bee group. Sewing can be an isolated hobby, so I am very grateful to social media, blogs and meet-ups for keeping us all in touch.

Bye for now; will see you soon with my finished dress...

Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Most used pattern to date: NewLook 6216

Hello there! School has started again, and - by some strange coincidence - my house has become less messy and chaotic almost overnight. I am sure there is no correlation between those two facts. Okay, maybe there is a link!

Anyhoo... this is my new top: a blush viscose jersey made into the short sleeved top from Newlook 6216, my most made pattern envelope ever! I have made the trousers twice here and here and the long-sleeved top twice here and here. This make completes the envelope. Considering I bought it during a half price sale, the cost per item is in pence rather than pounds. Kerching!!

I did add the pocket which was considerable effort, only to find that the placement was under my arm going by the pattern markings! I am not alone in this: Hannah from Hannah Knits Stuff made this top recently and did exactly the same thing! The placement on the pattern must be off.

Even without the pocket I love the simple shape and cute detail of the bands on the sleeves. Plus the neckline does not gape. Wahoo! Really pleased, as I need a few more tee shirts for layering now it is getting cold. So, this pattern may appear again. However, I am ridiculously busy at the moment, and eager to make a new dress for my birthday. And some fancy trousers too. So there will be no tee shirts coming anytime soon!

I am fearful that the dress for my birthday will fall by the wayside under time constraints. Do you have lots of makes on your wish-list? How do you cope when they don't get made up?

See you all soon.

Sunday, 6 September 2015

McCalls M6958 (or the dress it's now too cold to wear!)

Hi everyone. It's been a while since my last blog-post, and I have to be honest and say I have no idea where the time went.  A blur of day trips and camping, and the Summer has been and gone.

Today I am sharing my only summer make! The pattern (McCalls M6958) was purchased with a magazine I picked up in Sainsbury's. I don't often buy magazines with free patterns because, well, they aren't free, are they?! But this mag had three patterns with it, all of which I actually liked, so it seemed like a good idea.

I did a few standard-for-me alterations, changing where the bust dart fell, and lopping off inches in height so that the waist actually hit my waist! The dress itself was an easy make, but took me simply ages - just a lack of free time, I guess. It sat patiently waiting to be hemmed for over two weeks!  Then, after finishing it, the weather has been too cold and wet to take blog photos.

I have finally braved the weather to show the dress off. I am really pleased with it, and think that the shape suits me. It has a much more fitted shape than I normally wear, but it still has lots of ease, so it is comfy.

The camera has decided not to capture the colours at all well. The fabric is a lovely burgundy colour with grey and black geese flying in all directions. It is also the first piece of fabric I ever bought. I promptly decided I'd likely ruin it, so had better practise on old sheets and curtains first! But, two years on, I was determined it should sit in the stash no longer.

The colours are clearer here in this mid-make shot. It also documents my first invisible zip, which I am pretty proud of: it wasn't as bad as I had expected, but actually (and I know I am in the minority) I really like the look of a good lapped zip. I am pleased to have tried it, though, and have even bought a few more for future projects.

It does look rather blousey here; this is because the shaping is achieved with dart tucks, so it poufs out slightly. But not too much - I do like the overall shape.

I am hoping to be able to wear it with a cardie and tights to a party, but - other than that - this won't get worn till next year. A shame that, as I adore it.

I suppose it's all Fall/Autumn sewing for me from now on...