Wednesday 16 March 2016

Sew ill and a sewing pledge!

Cough, cough, splutter, splutter. Hello sewing friends. So far this week, I have watched all my family fall like dominoes with fevers and colds. All five of us shivering and hot at the same time!

I want to sew, but any attempt to do anything other than sit very still or sleep sees me bimbling around, useless. Can you sew when ill? I managed before to sew bunting when ill, but that was just straight lines, and this fever has wracked my limbs and fuzzed my vision.

Instead I thought I would plan! I want to take part in the Vintage Pattern Pledge again this year, hosted by Marie and Kerry.  The idea being to actually make use of the vintage patterns rather than just looking at them! I particularly like the 1970s patterns I own, and have been riffling through my box of treasures in bed to help me feel creative and awake. Here are some that I would like to make up for this challenge...


Firstly, this: "style 4191", I love the shape of this, and think it would flatter me. It would be something easy to wear in Spring and Autumn. I was thinking a fine needlecord would work well, possibly one of the following.


This first is from Ditto Fabrics, bought years ago and patiently sitting waiting for the right project. For some reason it always loses out to another fabric. I love the colour, but perhaps it's too autumnal?


The other contender is this fun print picked up in the sales from Dragonfly Fabrics. Originally intended for my daughter, I actually rather like it myself! So that's pledge No 1.

Another make that's high on my list is this beauty. I first saw it on the Somnolent Daschund - really worth a look. I then scoured the internet until I found a copy!


The version I prefer is the dress-length with sleeves. I adore the maxi, but it would never get worn. Also being a shorty, I am never sure that style would suit me anyway. I have the perfect fabric for this: a turquoise viscose with be beautiful drape. It was bought at least a year ago in Fabricland Brighton, and was real gem of a find!



My only worry with this pattern is changing it to fit my petite form. I will have to change the length, the shoulders, and the bust, plus deal with a tricky slippery fabric. I am hoping that by documenting my plans I will force myself to actually carry them through at some point this year! So that's my vintage pledge two adult patterns and a bonus childs pattern to make up before December 31st!

I also want to make the Vintage Shirt Dress from Sew Over It. Not sure that counts as "Vintage" but want to have a play with it anyway, as I have seen so many great versions. Most notably Becky's from Back to Blighty. She's made four of these, and having seen one in real life, I would like to have a go at my own version.


No contender yet fabric-wise, but I want to shop from my stash. I fear I have too much fabric and no need of any more, which is really hard when I see so much temptation on Instagram daily. I am trying only to buy if I absolutely need to, having nothing at all suitable already. So far I have done very well, but then I haven't been to a blogger meet-up yet this year!

Wow, I feel a bit better for sitting up and focusing for a bit. What are your plans? Are you doing the vintage pledge?

23 comments:

  1. Great plans. I really love both of those vintage dresses, they are beautiful! I'm not doing the vintage pledge this year, no real reason, I just haven't given it any thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, well you have had so much success with the modern patterns lately I think you ought to keep going!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you are not well, but it will pass. And some nice plans to look forward too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, middle boy went back to school today after five days off! The end is in sight. I hope!

      Delete
  3. I own the middle pattern, isn't it a beauty? Would love to make a copy of the polka dot version. Apparently my aunty had a dress made from it in the 1970s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the brollies - think it would look great with the first pattern ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sew Over It vintage shirt dress is on my wish list! Looking forward to seeing which fabric you choose. Get well soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cheap cotton to muslin it then it's desicion time!

      Delete
  6. you have some lovely patterns, look forward to seeing your versions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better soon, including the others in your family! It's fun to use the time to plan your sewing projects though. You've got lots of lovely dresses in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, am willing good health on us! Thinking about sewing is almost as good isn't it?

      Delete
  8. Great plans - the 2 vintage patterns look great. I've signed up for the vintage pledge but I haven't decided what patterns I'm going to use yet. I'm also planning another Vintage Shirt Dress - I've got my eye on a couple of different fabric options. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's hard choosing their are so many fab patterns out there.

      Delete
  9. I'm absolutely loving that fabric with the brollies! I'm hoping to start my first pledge project after I've made another pair of jeans me but first I have to get well too. It seems everyone is sick right now! Feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The brollies are fab! Such soft needlecord. Jeans- get you! Hope you feel better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd not heard of the vintage pledge, I'll have to look into it. I have a few old, mostly 70's, patterns that were my mums. I think the evening dress pattern looks amazing but slippery fabrics are a challenge. The umbrella fabric is super cute, anything would look good made of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do look into it it's a great idea. Are you tempted to make any of your mum's old patterns?

      Delete
  12. I like the Simplicity 6672 very much - such a classic look. But all of the patterns you have chosen are really good for your shape I think. Hope you get time to make them all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I am pleased with my pattern choices I think they will look good.

      Delete
  13. I like the Simplicity 6672 very much - such a classic look. But all of the patterns you have chosen are really good for your shape I think. Hope you get time to make them all up.

    ReplyDelete